Friday 8 August 2008

Plowing, Sowing and an Occasional Harvest

I received, after a small tech hitch, a wonderful email from Matt, a recommended blogger at Plowing, Sowing and an Occasional Harvest.



It's interesting to note how many farm bloggers in the United States are committed Christians. I'm not - never say never - so I think it's best if I let Matt do the talking.


"I guess the name of my blog is a little deceptive. When I started blogging , I was at a turning point in my life. Though our family has been involved in farming for generations, the name of my blog does not coincide with anything that we produce.





We produce cattle and chickens along with the hay to feed the cows. There are around 250 head of crossbred cows and we have 18 chicken houses.

There are 20,000 birds per house and this happens 5 ½ times per year on the average. That makes 1,980,000 chickens per year that is produced. These are the chickens that people buy in the local grocery store. To put this into perspective, at 5.5 lbs per bird, we produce 10,890,000 pounds of meat per year. A cattle operation would have to have to raise and sell 16,754 calves per year weighing 650 pounds in order to match the amount of meat that we produce.

I also raise and train Catahoula Cur cow dogs."






"As you can see, Plowing, Sowing and an Occasional Harvest doesn’t line up with meat production.

But here is what does line up.

My wife, of eighteen years and I, have four children. We have the God given responsibility of raising our four children under the authority of our Heavenly Father."

"There are so many times in our lives that we “plow” and “sow” and we never get to see the fruit of our labor. We get tired, beat up, run down, sad, mad, kicked to the curb, rejected, but as a Christian, we can work through the hard times with the Hope that is shown to us in the Holy Bible, knowing that we will come out on the other side victorious, high and lifted up, encouraged, free, loved, cherished and complete."




"In my little world, in Central Texas, I can only live to glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ.

It is hard at times, but when I look at the responsibility of raising my children it is worth it.

So as you can see, Plowing, Sowing and an Occasional Harvest doesn’t exactly line up with what we do on the farm.

The analogy is what I was after."

Matt Nichols




http://www.aplaceintheauvergne.blogspot.com/
http://www.ianwalthew.com/


Farm BlogsRanch Blogs
Rural Blogs
Countryside Blogs
Smallholding Blogs
Homesteading Blogs
Homestead Blogs
Allotment Blogs

No comments: