Saturday 28 February 2009

The Skoog Farm Journal Recommends....

I'm really excited to have some recommendations from long-time supporter of Farm Blogs from Around the World, Lori Skoog at The Skoog Farm Journal.

Some of the blogs have already been recommended, but I'm delighted to have tracked down a second blog from Africa thanks to Lori.

Here are Lori's recommendations:


Ishtar News
Esther Garvi is part of the Eden Foundation in Niger. She and her family moved there from Sweden, over 24 years ago. They believe that "the key to prosperity for the poor lie in underexploited, edible trees and bushes - the "Lost Treasures of Eden."

Bedlam Farm Journal
Jon Katz, an author and photographer, writes daily posts on the happenings at his farm. His three dogs, Lenore, Rose and Izzy, are a very big part of his life.

Food, Fun & Farm Life in East Africa
Lynda and her family live on a very productive 3500 acre farm in East Africa. Her posts offer outstanding recipes and a National Geographic type view of her country, as well as her travels.

Confessions of a Pioneer Woman
Ree Drummond, a city girl, met and married a cattle rancher. In her blog, she posts fabulous photography, recipes, home and garden information and more. The government supports them in the care of a very large herd of mustangs that live on their land.

These last two recommendations from Lori are more horse focussed than farming, so I have not added them to the blog roll - this blog is about people involved in the production of food and natural fibres - but they are certainly interesting.

The Barb Wire
Tamara chronicles her explorations of the Barb horse and more. Her photographs are exceptional.

Dream Valley Ranch
This Ranch is located in Colorado, and the owners have very generously rescued 6 dogs and 5 horses. They are very dedicated to these animals.









A big ask I know, but if you can, please help me support my time on 'Farm Blogs from Around the World' by buying, reading and blogging/reviewing my book:

A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream

It's about urban downshifting to rural England (and a bit more).

I don't take any advertising on this site but your support would help me show my wife that this blog project is more than me just pursuing my obsessive interest in all things farming/gardening/smallholding!

Please support your local independent bookshop, but (yikes!)dare I say it...

A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream (Amazon.com)
A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream (Amazon.co.uk)

A Place in the Auvergne
Ian Walthew



Farm Blogs
Ranch Blogs
Rural Blogs
Countryside Blogs
Smallholding Blogs
Urban Homesteading Blogs
Homesteading Blogs
Homestead Blogs
Allotment Blogs
Apiculture Blogs
Bee-keeping Blogs

Auvergne
Auvergnate
Auvergnat
Auvergnats
France
Rural France
Blogs about France



Paris / Montmartre/ Abbesses holiday / vacation furnished apartment rental

2 comments:

Diary From Africa said...

Ian, thanks so much for some more great links to farm blogs and also for mentioning my blog here again :) I'm off to browse some of them now ........

Anonymous said...

I think "Alpaca Farming" is one of the most popular types of farming in America today and more and more farmers are diverting from the conventional cow,or sheep,farms to Alpaca farming.

ealpacafarming.com